When we feel the need to lose a bit of weight, of course we think about dieting, or maybe jogging, bicycling and other cardio exercises. However, when our goal is to change our body composition and lose fat, nothing really beats resistance or weight training.
Why? Mainly because it helps raise your metabolism (muscle burns more calories than fat). So, let’s start with some basic tips to get you started…
1. Effective weight training means overloading your muscles. In other words, we need to use more resistance than what our muscles are used to.
2. The intensity of the workout needs to increase regularly.
3. When lifting or lowering training weights, do so slowly. If you’re swinging your weights, then something’s wrong.
4. Don’t hold your breath when lifting.
5. Well, this should actually be number 1: always warm up before you start.
6. Don’t work the same muscle groups two days in a row. Remember, resting is just as important as working out.