Now, this is an ingredient that you’ve probably encountered quite a few times if you’ve been paying attention to skincare products. From hand cream and body lotions to moisturizers and conditioners, shea butter is used for just about every type of skincare, haircare, and beauty products, by just about every brand. So, what’s so great about this substance? Well...
1. Shea butter is a natural antioxidant that also has anti-inflammatory and UV protection qualities.
2. Apparently, shea butter also contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which can play a huge role in maintaining skin elasticity.
3. Yet another plus point of shea butter is its moisturizing potential, meaning that it can smooth out dry skin. This is especially useful for dry-prone areas such as your elbows and knees.
4. Suffering from sun burn, a rash, or an insect bite? Shea butter can help with that too.
5. As mentioned above, shea butter can protect your skin from UV rays. Note, however, that it can’t really replace regular sunscreen what with its low SPF rating... but it can help, and that’s why you’ll often find shea butter listed in natural sunscreen recipes.
6..As a side note, shea butter makes a great natural replacement for lip balm, shaving cream, and body scrub (for this last one, simply mix it with coconut oil and brown sugar).
luisapuccini / 123RF Stock Photo
poznyakov / 123RF Stock Photo
annajacek / 123RF Stock Photo